Monday, October 5, 2009

New Beginning

The class that I had created this blog for is over, but I think the content that is here already is pretty good, for the most part. So I've decided to revive the blog for keeping track of some of my readings in new media for my dissertation.

I am working on the idea of questioning how changing an artifact from one media to another changes its meaning. How does, for example, the Book of Kells change meaning from being in a museum-like setting to being on a CD that I can plug into my computer? How are each of these different from it being in the altar of a church? In preserving an artifact, it is necessary to protect it, but in protecting it and divorcing it from its intended use, how do we ultimately change its meaning?

I am working through some semiotics al la Gunter Kress, and will be looking at other fields as well: digital humanities, archival studies, and new media scholarship.

No comments: